I don’t care if you’re Team Edward or Team Stefan, these cupcakes will bring out the inner, perfectly coiffed blood-sucker in everyone!
I used red velvet cakemix and home-made cream chesse frosting to make this quick and easy cupcakes, perfect for last-minute party invites!
- 1 box of your favorite red velvet cake mix
- Two 8oz packages of cream cheese
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Cherry pie filling (or Raspberry, Strawberry, you get the idea)
1. Mix your favorite red velvet cake mix according to the instructions on the box. I have to say, after making these from a box, I am super excited to try a recipe from scratch! I was fascinated that what started out sort of brownish….
Would suddenly become BLOOOOOOD RED!
Note the dramatic dripping effect, much like blood spatter on CSI. Very Halloween-y.
2. Once you’ve mixed your batter, pour it into a cupcake pan lined with paper liners. (Tip! Pouring the batter into a gallon-sized plastic bag and cutting off a corner makes for easy cupcake pan filling! You might need a friend to help you though…it can get
disastrous messy trying to pour and hold a bag open at the same time.)
3. Bake for the allotted amount of time according to your box and you’ll have lovely, deep red cupcakes like these!
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. While your creations cool to room temperature, cream the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and slowly add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and beat on low speed to avoid inhaling any.
Like I did.
2. Scoop your frosting into a plastic bag, snip off a corner and use that to pipe your frosting on in cute little swirls. Our poor cupcakes are unaware that they’re soon to be…..
3. BITTEN! Use the plastic bag trick above to pipe on tiny lines of your cherry, or other red fruit, pie filling to make the blood trickling from the bite marks of those darn attractive vampires.