Confession: You are going to be seeing a lot of apples in the next few weeks.
Confession: I am totally obsessed with apples right now.
I already told you about my terrible habit of buying a million (or like…20) apples every time I go to the farmers market. But now you get to find out what exactly I do with all these apples. Sort of simultaneously with me figuring out what exactly I do with all these apples.
I find, when you have a daunting task (eating all those apples you bought) it’s best to tackle the project right away. So I came up with a delicious, and surprisingly healthy way to avoid eating apple pie for breakfast.
Make apple pie oatmeal instead.
I bet all you breakfast-skippers are really sad now, because you did not have apple pie (oatmeal) for breakfast. Well, that will teach you to skip the most important meal of the day.
Seriously, I was just reading an article that came in the junk mail about how 1/3 of teens are skipping breakfast every day, and I’m all like…if I don’t eat at least twice by 11am I turn into a hungry rage monster.
Like the Hulk. But small and white. Kathleen smash. Smash open the fridge to get myself some lunch.
So please, save the city of New York from further destruction and eat some breakfast! I promise, together we can make it taste delicious.
- 1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. crystalized ginger
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. slivered almonds (or pecans, walnuts, whatever)
1. Feel free to cook your oatmeal however you like, but here’s how I prefer to do mine. Mix your oats and the milk in a microwaveable bowl and cook for a minute and a half. Give the oatmeal a stir, and feel free to cook it for 30 more seconds if it’s not done to your liking.
2. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup and crystalized ginger. Fold in the diced apple, and sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
Boom! Breakfast is served.