You’re going to notice a Nutella trend on this blog. I bought a jar to make some chocolate baklava and over estimated how much I would actually use.
To avoid sitting around and eating it with a spoon, I decided to come up with more creative ways to use up the rest of that jar. This cupcake was inspired by a crepe I love to get when in Paris – banana and Nutella. Seriously, best crepe flavor ever.
This is cake is denser than your average cupcake and holds up well to the richness of the frosting.
Ingredients for the cake: (recipe adapted from ButterYum)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 mashed super ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F. Cream together sugar, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), egg, and butter.
2. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl and stir them into the wet ingredients in two batches.
3. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners and pour the batter into each cup until they are 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
4. While you wait for the cupcakes to cool, cream together the butter and Nutella with an electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Feel free to play with the amount of Nutella to get your desired consistency and flavor.
5. Once the cupcakes are cool, frost and enjoy!