You’re probably thinking about three things right now.
1. How am I going to maintain my resolution to get fit/lose weight/eat better?
2. I spent way too much over the holidays, I need to save a little more this month.
3. How am I going to do both of those with the Super Bowl/Olympics coming up, and sports party season in full swing?
The magic solutions to all your problems? Turkey chickpea burgers.
Seriously, guys, these are my new favorite burgers.
1. Protein + fiber + put some veggies on it = healthy, right?
2. Adding a can of chickpeas to this burger mix stretches it way out.
3. These make awesome party sliders or burgers for a crowd.
Throw some smoked gouda, BBQ sauce, and spinach on there and you’ve got a super tasty, juicy burger, that no one would ever suspect you doctored up to save yourself a few bucks.
Plus they utilize the ever-amazing food processor, and are a flash to prepare.
Don’t be alarmed by the consistency when you mix the ingredients. It will be a lot mushier than your average burger mix, but the end result has a great burger texture and a flavor that will knock a burger snob’s socks off.
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. garlic chili paste
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 8 slices smoked gouda
- BBQ sauce
- Whole wheat buns
- Spinach leaves
1. In a food processor, combine the first 7 ingredients, and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
2. Transfer chickpea mixture to a large bowl and add the ground turkey. Mix together until well combined, then form patties (makes 8 patties, about 3 inches wide and 1-1/2 inch thick).
3. Heat a nonstick griddle to 350 or put some oil in a frying pan. When hot, cook the patties, about 4-6 minutes on each side depending on thickness of patties.
4. Assemble burgers on buns with the spinach leaves, smoked gouda, BBQ sauce, and any other additions you wish.