I’m thinking 2014 is going to be really awesome. Really awesome in a change-is-happening sort of way.
What’s the first change I feel happening? I’m being more real with myself.
Real in a, “Hey, maybe baking this triple layer cake, roasting this roast, and creating a signature cocktail doesn’t all need to happen in the next 2 hours just because I’m hosting 3 friends for a movie night” sort of way.
Because seriously. It’s cold outside. Like, if I don’t have it in the house I am going without cold. So cold I may even extend that rule to toilet paper.
Ok, no. I wouldn’t do that. Again, being real.
But cold enough that if I get that urge to make something, I am sure as heck just making whatever I have in my pantry work.
Which for some reason seems to be tortilla chips. And apples. Like, a vast majority of the time, I have those things on hand. So it’s about time I figured out a more satisfying use for those than blindly munching away.
You know, in a way, I’m sort of thankful for these crazy cold winters we have here. Nothing sparks those
crazy creative juices like being trapped in your apartment for a few days, right?
- 5 or 6 apples, diced – I used honeycrisp and honeygolds
- 2 Tbsp. red onion – finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss together the apple and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the honey, lime juice, and cilantro together.
2. Pour the dressing over the apples and onions, toss to throughly coat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.